80.6% of U.S. consumer plan to buy gift cards this year*
64% of consumers spend more than the value of their gift card*
59% visited a store more frequently after receiving a gift card*
41% of consumers visited a store they would not have otherwise gone to because they received a gift card*
Coordinating your winter travel plans can be chaotic. In the midst of preparing for your trip, keep in mind these three tips to ensure smooth sailing while you’re somewhere warm.
1. Communicate your change of address.
There are several businesses that should be aware of your change of address for the winter season, including Merchants Bank. To ensure you continue to receive important financial, medical or family information or to discontinue specific subscription services, you should contact the following regarding your address change:
- Your bank
- The Post Office
- Your local newspaper (if you have it delivered)
- Other delivery services
To alert Merchants Bank of your address change, stop in or call your local branch (link to contact us page) to let us know of the change. Please include dates of departure and return as well as the names of other account holders living at your address.
2. Know how to access your bank account information.
Managing your money across a few states or a country is critical to helping you feel at ease during your trip. Make sure you are comfortable with getting information about your accounts and managing your money through one of the following free options:
- Merchants Online Banking. Enroll now.
- Merchants Mobile Banking App.
- Merchants Telephone Banking.
- Merchants Text Banking.
Or, if you prefer assistance enrolling in any of the listed services, simply contact our Electronic Banking department at 866-496-0522.
3. Be diligent in protecting your identity.
In the course of your travels, there are a number of circumstances that could impact the chance of identity theft. You could lose track of a card, leave financial statements in the mailbox, or post publically on a social media site that you’re out of town, which lets criminals know that your house is empty. Review our security tips to ensure that your personal information is safe.
Should your business accept credit or debit card payments? Big or small, brick and mortar or in-home business, thousands of employees or only two…the answer is yes! Businesses of all sizes can benefit from the ease and versatility of accepting credit or debit cards anytime, anywhere you choose. Here are the top three reasons you should accept credit or debit card payments:
- Convenience – Being able to accept major credit cards is expected by most of your customers. In TSYS’s 2013 Consumer Payment Choice Study, over half of respondents preferred a debit card as their overall payment method and 35% preferred a credit card. By using Merchants Bank’s Credit Card Processing, your business can meet customer expectations and provide options for accepting payments that are convenient for both you and your customers. Merchants Bank offers a variety of options for collecting payments including counter-top card readers, website interfaces and mobile card readers.
- Increase Sales – Accepting credit or debit cards greatly broadens your potential customer base to customers who no longer carry cash or checks with them. In addition, customers who pay by card can easily make impulse purchases without needing extra cash on hand or writing a larger check. Not offering this type of payment option could result in lost sales opportunities.
- Simple Pricing and Local Service – We understand that each business is unique, so we will work with you to determine the credit card processing pricing structure that makes sense for your business. Merchants Bank offers easy to understand, “all-in-one” discount fees based on the average dollar amount of your customer transactions (which is your average ticket size). Equipment costs will vary depending on your needs. As always, you’ll receive service and support from local bankers you know and trust. We promise to work with you to keep your costs as low as possible and customize Credit Card Processing to fit your individual business needs.
You could be earning 2x, 3x, 4x or more points on purchases when you use your Visa ScoreCard Credit Card. Did you know that you can earn bonus points by making purchases with your card at participating retailers? “If you have a Merchants Bank Visa ScoreCard Credit Card you are automatically enrolled in our ScoreMore program,” says Emily Buxengard, Credit Card Assistant. “It’s so easy to earn bonus points and there are thousands of retailers participating in ScoreMore.”
Here’s how to find out which retailers are participating and how to activate bonus points:
- Go to www.scorecardrewards.com and sign in to your ScoreCard Rewards account. Or, when viewing your Credit Card account online through www.mycardstatement.com, click on the Rewards Points link at the bottom of your home screen.
- Click on the ScoreMore icon on the bottom left of your screen.
- Find a retailer by:
- Using the Search function on the right side of the screen.
- Clicking View all Retailers and then using the alphabetical retailer index above to browse.
- To activate bonus points:
- For online purchases: Click on See Details under the retailer’s bonus points offer and then on Click here to activate. You will be taken to the retailer’s website where you can browse for products. When you complete your purchase using your Visa ScoreCard Credit Card, bonus points will automatically be added to your account.
- For in-store purchases: Click on the blue Activate button on the right side of the screen. The button will turn green and show bonus points are active and display an expiration date for the offer. When you complete your purchase in-store using your Visa Scorecard Credit Card bonus points will automatically be added to your account.
To redeem your points for everything from movie tickets to a Caribbean cruise, shop our selection of items at http://www.scorecardrewards.com. For help activating ScoreMore bonus points, contact our Credit Card Department directly at (507) 457-1160. After bank hours, weekends, or holidays, please call 1-800-854-0790. Click here for more information on all of Merchants Bank’s Visa Credit Cards and how to apply today. All credit cards are subject to credit approval.
* Qualifying ScoreMore Transaction shall mean: 1) a purchase transaction made with Your Account; 2) a transaction that takes place at eligible, participating Retailer locations (“In-store Purchases”) or through eligible links to participating Retailer websites accessed via the ScoreMore link on http://www.scorecardrewards.com (“Online Purchases”); 3) a transaction that meets Retailer qualifications as disclosed in the Retailer Offer (“Retailer Offer(s)”) on the ScoreMore web pages. PIN purchases do not qualify for ScoreMore Point earnings. Only signature transactions qualify for ScoreMore Point earnings when made with Your participating Account.
*ScoreMore Points for qualifying In-store Purchases are typically awarded within seven (7) days of transaction posting; Points for Online Purchases are typically awarded within thirty (30) days of transaction posting. Awarding of Points for some Retailer Offers may require additional processing time. Points for Travel Retailer Offers are awarded when travel is completed.
Before your student heads off to school, give them a crash course in Money 101. Merchants Bank has a number of options to help ease your student into financial freedom including checking and savings accounts, Online and Mobile Banking and more.
If you are a first-time user, simply go to the Merchants Bank home page and click on “Enroll” in the upper left hand corner. You can also find an informative “Demo” there.
Once you’ve enrolled, go to “Other Services” and click “Mobile Banking” to complete the enrollment process. You can download the free app you need for your Android or Apple phone or tablet device at our website. You can also download Merchants Bank’s free mobile app through your mobile phone or tablet device. The free Android app is available at the Google Play store and the free iPhone or iPad app is available at the Apple App Store or on iTunes.
Once your app is in place, you will be able to enjoy these Mobile Banking benefits:
- Check account balances.
- View recent transactions.
- Transfer funds.
- Find Merchants Bank branch and ATM locations.
- Contact Merchants Bank Electronic Banking customer support.
If you’d prefer to utilize text banking, you can do so without downloading an app. Our Electronic Banking Department will be able to help you.
If you have any questions, please give our Electronic Banking Department a call at 866-496-0522.
- Merchants Bank owned ATMs
- Fee Free cash at any one of more than 400 Kwik Trip or Kwik Star locations in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa.
- MoneyPass ATMS where you won’t be assessed a surcharge fee by the bank at MoneyPass ATMs. A foreign surcharge fee may still apply. You can find a MoneyPass location, or access locations through an iPhone or Android app, by starting here.
Plus, remember you can also get cash back when using your Merchants Bank Debit Card at most point of sale locations