It’s important to take steps to protect your personal identity, especially during the holiday shopping season. Let’s work together to help keep your information safe.
Use Our Free Fraud Tools
Your security is top of mind at Merchants Bank. We have a number of ways to help you protect yourself with our SecurLock Equip app for your Merchants Bank credit card and My Mobile Money app for our debit card. These apps are very similar.
With SecurLock or My Mobile Money you can:
- Turn your Merchants Bank credit card or debit card on and off.
- Control where your credit card or debit card can be used.
- Receive automatic notifications about possible fraud and take action.
Plus, if you use Merchants Online Banking, consider using the “Alerts” functions to monitor activity. To set up automatic alerts, follow the steps outlined in our video tutorial. Alerts can be sent to an email address or via text message.
Best Practices to Use When Shopping Online During the Holidays:
- Change your passwords often. Use a mixture of numbers, letters and special characters. Don’t use the same passwords for multiple accounts.
- Be suspicious. Thieves will use calls or emails to trick you into sharing passwords, social security numbers, etc. If you don’t recognize the caller or email, don’t reply.
- Don’t click on links in emails from your credit card companies, investment companies or banks that would have you update account information. Remember, Merchants Bank will never ask you to update your personal information via a link in an email. When suspicious, call the company at a number you confirmed in a separate source, like a phone book or prior statement.
- Make a fraud kit. Keep a list of your credit and debit cards, account numbers, expiration dates and customer service of fraud department telephone numbers in a secure place.
- Read through your credit card bills. If you see a charge you don’t recognize, call and get the charge reversed.
- Don’t use the “remember password” option. It makes it easier for someone to access your accounts.
- Do NOT keep a list of passwords in an unprotected document on your devices or written down in an unsecure place.
- Never save your credit card number online. If that site gets breached, you are at risk. Enter your information each time you make a purchase.
If you’re traveling or spending the winter somewhere else, let us know by contacting your local Customer Service Representative so we can make sure you have the best service.
If you make purchases in a state or country where you don’t normally use your Merchants Bank debit or credit card, we may think these transactions are fraudulent unless we know otherwise. Let us know the dates of your trip, your travel locations and how we may be able to contact you.
If you have additional questions, please contact us. We’re happy to help.