- 4 (6-inch) soft corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 4 tsp. fresh cilantro, snipped (use dried if you can’t find fresh)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 thick slices fresh lime (optional)
- 1 small container light sour cream
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Bake 7-8 minutes or until crisp. Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook chicken with a little vegetable oil (spray or liquid) for 3 minutes. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Snip cilantro. Place tortilla strips into bowls and top with soup, cheese, cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream. Cut a 1/4-inch lime slice and place on bowl’s edge. Serve. Can be served with cornbread sticks or bread sticks.
Merchants Family Cookbooks are available at all Merchants Bank locations for $15. Proceeds benefit local food shelf programs.